Education For ChildrenThere are many different options for childcare, for parents who work or study. These include:

  • Finding and paying a babysitter yourself
  • Placing your child in the home of a licensed child care provider
  • Placing your child in a licensed childcare centre 
  • Using childcare centres provided by Memorial University and other workplaces

Childcare providers who take care of children in their home or in centres must maintain a high standard and are regulated through legislation.  However, private babysitters that you find yourself may not be licensed or adhere to the same standards. If you choose to use the services of a private babysitter we recommend you ask the babysitter for a list of three references from people they have worked for in the past.

The provincial Department of Child, Youth, and Family Services provides information for parents about childcare, as well as a listing of regulated child care programs and facilities throughout the province. Subsidies are available for low income families. For more information on childcare subsidies, please call:

St John's and area - (709)-729-4947

Eastern Newfoundland - (709) 729-0760

Central Newfoundland - (709) 292-4170

Western Newfoundland - (709) 637-8027

Labrador - (709) 896-9170