Just like living anywhere, adjusting to life in Newfoundland and Labrador is about settling into the rhythm of everyday life. Learning the language and taking care of your and your family's education, healthcare, accommodations, transportation, banking and other day-to-day necessities are discussed in this section.
A big part of settling into a new place is about meeting people. In this section you will also find information to help you integrate into the community and meet new people through volunteering activities, sports and recreation, multicultural events and activities and through religious organizations and church groups.
Here are some good resources to get you started.
Moving to Canada: Developed by Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Moving to Newfoundland and Labrador:
- Living in Newfoundland and Labrador: A Newcomer's Pocket Guide (PDF) Developed by the Association for New Canadians (Disclaimer: This document was completed by an external group. Please note some information may be outdated.)
- A Multicultural Woman's Guide to Living in Newfoundland and Labrador (PDF) Developed by the Multicultural Women's Organization of Newfoundland and Labrador. (Disclaimer: This document was completed by an external group. Please note some information may be outdated.)
- A Pre-Arrival Guide for International Students
Developed by Memorial University's International Student Advising Office. (Disclaimer: This document was completed by an external group. Please note some information may be outdated.)
- Central Labrador's Newcomer Guide
Developed by the Central Labrador Development Corporation. (Disclaimer: This document was completed by an external group. Please note some information may be outdated.)
NTV News: http://ntv.ca/
CBC Newfoundland: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador
Newspapers are a great way to keep up to date on what's going on throughout the province or particular communities with regards to current affairs. Newfoundlanders and Labradorians also use newspapers for such things as buying and selling homes, cars, and household items and when they are looking for jobs.
Here is a listing of the local newspapers:
- Advertiser (Exploits Valley)
- Aurora (Labrador West)
- Beacon (Gander)
- Compass (Trinity and Conception Bay)
- Gulf News (Channel-Port aux Basques)
- Labradorian (Central and Coastal Labrador)
- The Northern Pen (Great Northern Peninsula and Southern Labrador)
- Nor'wester (Green Bay - White Bay)
- Packet (Bonavista, Trinity and Placentia Bay)
- Pilot (Lewisporte - Twillingate and "All Around the Circle")
- Southern Gazette (Burin Peninsula)